Gardens can give good, fresh food while providing family fun, building community relationships, and creating new businesses.
Growing your own food is empowering. Gardeners have access to healthy and affordable organic produce and have the opportunity to sell their bountiful harvest for extra income.
We’re training potential market gardeners and new farmers. Project activities are open to everyone, with a special focus on Hispanic market gardeners. Traditionally, Hispanic farmers and gardeners have received few resources.
Our community garden programs offer training to gardeners of all skill levels. This includes information on organic practices, presentations from local farmers, small business training, and hands-on training in the garden. Training sessions and garden assistance prepare gardeners to sell their crops at local farmers markets and to other end users, or for eventual commercial-scale farming.
The Siouxland Community Garden opened in 2011, growing more than just food—it brought people together to cultivate community and opportunity for all. The community garden project was made possible with support from the USDA Farmers Market Promotion Program, Center for Rural Affairs, City of South Sioux City, Club Corazones Alegres, Loess Hills RC&D, and Sioux Rivers RC&D.
- Agriculture and Land-Based Training Association (ALBA), Salinas, California—trains seasonal farm workers to grow their own crops and run their own businesses
- Community CROPS, Lincoln, Nebraska—farm training and incubator plots for immigrants and beginning farmers
- ATTRA publications
- USDA Farm Service Agency farm loan and assistance web pages in Spanish - Paginas en español sobre préstamos y ayuda del USDA Agencia de Servicios Agrícolas
- Grassroots Guide to the 2008 Farm Bill/ Guía para Movimientos de Base de la Ley Agrícola del 2008
- Getting Started – A Vendor’s Guide to Successful Sales at Farmers’ Markets: Minimum Requirements for Food Safety and Educational Support for Vendors/ Como empezar – Una guía para tener ventas exitosas durante el Mercado de Agricultores
- USDA Sustainable Ag Network “Estrategias Economico-Ambientales en la Crianza de Cerdos”
- Farm Food Safety Planning Guides for farmers and training materials for farm workers - Guías para planear sobre seguridad alimentaria en granjas para granjeros y materiales de entrenamiento para trabajadores agrícolas
- Mississippi State University Extension publications
- Washington State University Extension publications
- Center for Agricultural Partnerships, pest management guide for fruit trees in Washington - guía sobre control de plagas para árboles frutales en Washington
- Oregon State University Extension Spanish language publications
- University of Nebraska Spanish language guides to food processing for sale - guías sobre procesamiento de alimentos para vender
- University of Missouri Spanish language publications on sustainable agriculture - publicaciones sobre la agricultura sostenible
- University of Illinois Extension Spanish language gardening publications - publicaciones sobre jardinería
- Colorado State University plant care podcasts and audio stories in Spanish - podcast y cuentos de sonido
- Ohio State University farm safety publications in Spanish
- New Mexico State University Extension publications in Spanish, horticulture and community garden - publicaciones sobre horticultura y jardines comunitarias
- Michigan State University Extension fruit and berry pest scouting guides in Spanish - control de plagas para frutas y bayas
- University of Florida Extension publications in Spanish