Solar energy installations are more common today than ever before. The industry continues to see steady growth nationwide. Despite considerable potential, South Dakota has been slower to adopt this technology.
- Nationally, the solar industry grew by 23.5 percent between 2019 and 2020. In South Dakota, the industry grew by only 14.3 percent during this same time.
- Today, South Dakota ranks 50th among all U.S. states and territories in solar power production. The state receives 0.02 percent of its electricity from solar.
- The solar power industry has created 448 jobs in South Dakota, spread over 18 companies that specialize in manufacturing, installation, or a related activity.
- Most existing solar generation in South Dakota is customer-sited, small-scale generation. No utility-scale solar energy was generated in the state in 2019.
- Despite its small population, South Dakota is one of the top 10 states in total energy consumption per capita, due to its climate and energy-intensive industries.