Alternative Option for Landowners

If you have land enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) and you are trying to decide what to do with it once the contract comes to a close, consider the benefits of transferring that land to a beginning or socially disadvantaged farmer or rancher. A new federal program, the Conservation Reserve Program Transition Option, can provide you two years of additional CRP payments for doing just that.
With thousands of acres set to come out of the Conservation Reserve Program in the next few years, the option provides an incentive to ensure some of those acres help beginners or socially disadvantaged farmers or ranchers get a start in agriculture in a conservation-based manner.

One year before the contract is set to expire the beginning or socially disadvantaged farmer or rancher is allowed to make conservation and land improvements and/or begin organic certification.

An approved conservation plan for the land must be developed and implemented. The farmer or rancher will be provided the opportunity to enroll the land in the Conservation Stewardship Program or the Environmental Quality Incentives Program.
When the CRP contract expires, the landowner/contract holder must sell or provide a long-term lease of the land (with an option to purchase) to the beginning or socially disadvantaged farmer or rancher. In return, the landowner/contract holder will receive two additional annual rental payments.
For more information contact your local Farm Service Agency office or contact Traci Bruckner at or 402-687-2103 ext. 1016.

Get The Newsletter?