The Center for Rural Affairs is hiring a Business Development Specialist. This position will provide guidance to aspiring and existing business owners to help those overcome challenges and improve their business acumen in order to start, stabilize, and/or grow their business. This position will provide knowledge, support, tools, resources, and accountability to socially and economically diverse populations of entrepreneurs on a variety of small business topics including start-up assistance, financials, marketing and sales, and management. The Business Development Specialist will report to the Women’s Business Center Director and work closely with the staff of the Rural Enterprise Assistance Project, both programs of the Center for Rural Affairs. Come be a part of our team working to build a vibrant rural future with opportunity for all.
This is a full-time non-exempt position located in an office location in north or southeast NE. Compensation is commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package that is top-notch will be provided. Frequent travel throughout Nebraska is required, and the use of technology will assist in all efforts to serve a 20-30 county region.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage a portfolio of clients, providing direct business and financial coaching; assist entrepreneurs in creating business plans, financial projections, marketing strategies, and other deliverables to aid in business launch and growth.
- Collaborate with Loan Specialists and contracted business consultants to identify and work with diverse clients, Spanish and English speaking, in need of business assistance throughout Nebraska.
- Conduct group training classes and webinars for clients.
- Collaborate with Women’s Business Center Director to upgrade and enhance training and resource materials as needed for assisting businesses in different stages and industries.
- Assist with the timely submission of quarterly and annual SBA reporting and presentations to key stakeholders.
- Participate in outreach activities (conferences, networking events, resource partner meetings, etc.) to build referral relationships and awareness about the Women’s Business Center across Greater Nebraska.
- All other duties as directed by the program director or supervisor to meet Center objectives.
- The ability to communicate in Spanish fluently is preferred.
- Personality and disposition characterized by collaboration, collegiality, accountability, and empathy.
- Can work effectively with diverse groups of individuals and values differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and social-economic circumstances.
- Extraordinary communication skills, written and verbal, at varying levels with diverse populations of clientele and community partners, in both small and large groups.
- Experience coaching and training adult learners at a variety of educational levels; public speaking and presentation experience.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of business (marketing, accounting, finance, operations, human resources, sales, etc.)
- Experience coaching or consulting small businesses, owning or managing a small business, or other related experience.
- Familiarity with the Nebraska entrepreneurial ecosystem.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Strategic thinking and creative approaches to problem-solving, linked to practical and effective implementation.
- Knowledge of webinar platforms, Microsoft Office Suite, and CRM systems for internal job functions; awareness of small business platforms and technology
- Willingness to travel to various sites across Nebraska as needed.
Position Classification: Non-Exempt
Interested individuals can apply by sending their resume, cover letter (please indicate where you saw the ad), and three professional references to email@example.com. The Center for Rural Affairs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify.