The Center for Rural Affairs is hiring a Policy Writing Assistant. The Policy Writing Assistant will be responsible for writing, editing and placing outgoing media and communication pieces for the Policy team. This position will report to a Policy Manager and coordinate with the Brand Marketing and Communications Manager.
This is a full-time position located in Lyons, Nebraska. Compensation is commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package will be provided. Some travel in Nebraska and surrounding states is required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate with policy program staff as well as grassroots supporters to create edit-ready content including policy statements, press releases, letters to the editor, and op-eds.
- Utilize content and data management platforms to develop opportunities for constituent engagement.
- Assist policy team members in editing and reviewing content, developing compelling narratives, and refining and tailoring messages to reach a broad and inclusive audience.
- Coordinate with team members to respond to media inquiries about policy work, develop and maintain relationships with members of the media, and assist in the placement of media pieces.
- Work closely with the members of the policy team to plan and execute media strategy.
- Facilitate coordination between policy team members and communications staff.
- Strategize and implement ways to utilize communications and media to influence policy decisions and enhance exposure to the Center’s original research and analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Public Relations, Marketing, or a related field.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Proficiency in utilizing social media to prompt advocacy.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate and communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, be creative and manage multiple demands at once.
- Familiarity with and understanding of rural communities; prior experience with political or issue campaigns; ability to connect with people regardless of political or cultural background.
Interested individuals can apply by sending their resume, cover letter (please include where you saw the job ad), three professional references, and two writing samples to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled.
The Center for Rural Affairs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.