The Center for Rural Affairs is hiring a Garden Assistant. The Garden Assistant will advise community members on planning, production, management and harvest of family and community gardens. The Garden Assistant works with other Center for Rural Affairs staff to promote food production in family and community gardens, increase the sale and use of fresh and locally grown foods, and promote participation in local markets.
This is a temporary part-time position located in Walthill, Nebraska which is a location easily accessible to our target communities. Employment will be available through September 30, 2019. This position could be a full time position if the applicant could fulfill the duties of the Orchard Assistant as well. Compensation is commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package may apply as outlined in the employee handbook.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide gardening information and advice to community members to improve quality and quantity of food production from community and family gardens.
- Advise and demonstrate to community members such gardening activities and maintenance as soil preparation, fertility management, planting, watering, weeding, pest and disease identification, and management and harvesting.
- Manage demonstration garden sites including spring and fall cleanup.
- Assist with training and education activities for community members on the benefits and techniques of vegetable gardening as a food and income source.
- Knowledge of vegetable gardening or agricultural production.
- At least one year of vegetable gardening or agriculture experience.
- Experience working in rural communities.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Requires strenuous physical work; frequent standing, bending, twisting, and stooping.
- Ability to lift, push, or pull objects up to 50 pounds.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate with staff and community members.
- Available by phone and e-mail for all communications.
- Willingness to travel to various sites across Nebraska as needed.
Interested individuals can apply by sending their resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled. The Center for Rural Affairs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.