The Center for Rural Affairs is hiring an Orchard Assistant. The Orchard Assistant will advise community members on planning, production, management and harvest of orchard and berry plantings as well as wild strands of fruit and berries. The Orchard Assistant works with other Center for Rural Affairs staff to promote food production in family and community gardens, increase the sale and use of fresh and locally grown foods, and promote participation in local markets.
This is a temporary part-time position located in Walthill, Nebraska, which is a location easily accessible to our target communities. Employment will be available through September 30, 2019. This position could be a full time position if the applicant could fulfill the duties of the Garden Assistant as well. Compensation is commensurate with experience. A comprehensive benefits package may apply as outlined in the employee handbook.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist with training and education activities for community members on the benefits and techniques of fruit and berry production as a food and income source.
- Provide orchard information and advice to community members to improve quality and quantity of food production from community and family orchards.
- Manage demonstration orchard sites including spring and fall cleanup.
- Advise and demonstrate to community members such fruit and berry production activities and maintenance as soil preparation, fertility management, planting, watering, weeding, pest and disease identification, and management and harvesting.
- Promote the use and sale of locally grown foods at local markets.
- Knowledge of orchard or agricultural production.
- At least one year of orchard or agriculture experience.
- Experience working in rural communities.
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Requires strenuous physical work; frequent standing, bending, twisting, and stooping.
- Ability to lift, push, or pull objects up to 50 pounds.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate with staff and community members.
- Available by phone and e-mail for all communications.
- Willingness to travel to various sites across Nebraska as needed.
Interested individuals can apply by sending their resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled. The Center for Rural Affairs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.