Save the date: Midwest Great Apple Crunch - Oct. 12, 2017
Farm to School Month, Great Apple Crunch - Where do I start?!
Celebrate National Farm to School Month by crunching into locally and regionally grown apples at NOON on Thursday, Oct. 12, 2017 from the comfort of your own schools.
The Midwest Great Apple Crunch encourages healthy eating and supports farm to school and other local food purchasing initiatives throughout the region. It’s also a fun way to connect food and agriculture to all kinds of classroom curricula – from science to art. We encourage you to plan an Apple Crunch event anytime in October to celebrate National Farm to School Month. You can find highlights from 2016 (and fun ideas) HERE.
You can download the Apple Crunch Guide (at the bottom of this page) where you’ll find resources and links to help you put together a successful farm to school month activity. Farm to school is not about getting overly complicated, we encourage you to enhance or highlight what you might already be doing or start with an activity that is easy to implement. Either way, you’ll easily be able to build from there!
The video below is a 2016 crunch activity celebrated at Prairie Hill Learning Center near Roca, Nebraska, inviting others to participate.
October is Farm to School Month
October is National Farm to School Month, a time to celebrate the connections that are happening between children and local food. Find more information, resources, posters and logos you can use in your school on the National Farm to School website.
Midwest Farm to School Month Webinar
Watch this webinar to learn about Nebraska and Iowa Farm to School programs and how they participated in Farm to School Month.
Midwest Great Apple Crunch - Thursday, Oct. 12, 2017
Why not share what you do during Farm to School Month? Here are some ideas:
- Show us your crunch! Post a photo or video of you eating apples to any social medium using #MidwestAppleCrunch.
- Share your activity or activities on your school’s website or Facebook page
- Include a feature about your activity in the school newsletter to share with parents
- Encourage your students and staff to participate in Farm to School Month in honor of back-to-school season. Share photos of your colorful, delicious, pleasing lunch trays and tag Center for Rural Affairs on Facebook, @RuralNerd on Instagram or @cfra on Twitter with #F2SMonth or #MidwestAppleCrunch. Remember to give credit to your schools, food service staff and farmers.
- Feature a student blog post in your school newspaper or share one with us at the Center for Rural Affairs.
And don't forget to download a Crunch Guide below.