Well, the disappointment is hard to put into words.
Thankfully, the anger isn’t.
Here’s my top five targets of ire.
1. Kent Conrad (D-ND)- Not only does he vote against Dorgan-Grassley, which has overwhelming support in North Dakota, he screws his fellow Senator, Byron Dorgan. Also, in the past Conrad voted for Dorgan-Grassley twice. Conrad led the coalition to defeat real reform, even going so far as to brag about how he was working with Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) all summer long. If Kent Conrad had supported his fellow North Dakotan Byron Dorgan, the amendment would have passed.
2. Ken Salazar (D-CO)- He spent a lot of time on the campaign trail talking about how he supports family farmers. Apparently that wasn’t true.
3. Harry Reid (D-NV)- He even voted for Dorgan-Grassley today, but he still makes the list. Why is he so afraid to give Dorgan Grassley a straight up or down vote? Why does he force Dorgan-Grassley to get 60 votes? For that matter, why do all of the reform amendments have to get 60? Politics trumps principle yet again. And once again, what is good for all of America is lost because Congressional leadership is afraid to antagonize a wealthy few.
4. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI)- Another one who voted for Dorgan-Grassley twice. Who knows why she changed her mind. Could it be money for specialty crops trumped her principles?
5. Olympia Snowe (R-ME)- She voted for Dorgan-Grassley twice in the past. We have no idea where her “no” vote came from. None. No clue. Really.
We, of course, will have more to say later.