Imagine you grew up in a place where all of the food available was processed, pre-packaged, no-nutrient junk. Would you know how to prepare and enjoy fresh foods for a healthier diet?
In Santee, Nebraska, two generations of Santee Sioux Nation have grown up eating basically out of a convenience store. Not only has fresh food been unavailable, but fresh food cooking skills and experience have been lost in the community. Now, with sky-high obesity and diabetes rates, people are looking for ways to eat better.
The Santee Garden and Market Project
The Santee Garden and Market Project is a joint effort of the Center for Rural Affairs and the Nebraska Indian Community College. Working together and building on grassroots interest and support, the project is bringing fresh foods and healthy eating back to Santee.
- Gardens -- Training and assistance is available for families growing their own gardens. These gardens provide fresh, healthy ingredients and reduce grocery costs.
- Farmers Market -- In the summer of 2012, a farmers market opened in Santee for the first time. Local farmers and craftspeople, including a brand-new community gardener, sold their goods.
- Fresh Food Cooking and Sharing -- Fresh food cooking training and sharing supported this new access to fresh foods, helping people learn to prepare and enjoy new foods. This component is known as the "Sioux Chef" project.
- New Gardening Programs Raise Nutrition Awareness, October 6 2012 - article about the project in the Norfolk Daily News
- Sioux Chef Teaches Fresh Food Cooking, August 2012 - introduction to Sioux Chef
- Sioux Chef: Cooking Up an Introduction to Fresh Food, April 2012 - Kickstarter.com crowdfunding page for the Sioux Chef project
- Growing Fresh Produce, Fresh Opportunity, March 2012 - introduction to the project overall
Featured Recipes from Sioux Chef:
- Pumpkin Puree
- Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Halloween Chili
- Pumpkin Cornbread
- Salad with Roasted Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Bread, Bars, or Muffins
- Potato Salad with Green Beans
- Cooking demonstration video and recipe: Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Cilantro
- All Sioux Chef recipes are available on the Sioux Chef blog and the entire Sioux Chef cookbook is available here.
- Posted on 9.5.2012
- Posted on 6.24.2013
- Posted on 7.26.2013
- Posted on 8.5.2013
- Posted on 9.26.2013