Byway of Art Tour - Decatur, Oakland, Lyons, Neb.
Tour the Byway of Art, a community-driven art project that celebrates Nebraska's rural towns. Explore Decatur's trolley, Oakland's Lycka Till, and Lyons' storefront theater.
The tour will take you to all three towns on the Byway of Art. Pick up a passport in Decatur and get it stamped at all locations.
Learn about Decatur's rural legends at the trolley, experience a musical on Oakland's Lycka Till, and take in a movie at Lyons' Storefront Theater.
- 3 to 5 p.m. Decatur
- 5 to 7 p.m. Oakland
- 7 to 9 p.m. Lyons
In Lyons, Decatur, and Oakland, Nebraska, unique artworks emerged from the stories of each place. “What makes your town special?” asked the Center for Rural Affairs at “outdoor living room” events, where residents got comfortable in couches and chairs assembled along their town’s main street.
Refreshments will be available in Decatur and popcorn will be available in Lyons. Supper will be available for purchase in Oakland from 5 to 7 p.m.
Decatur - 3 to 5 p.m.
- Local residents will share history and folklore at the trolley
- Pick up passports at the trolley, located in downtown Decatur on Broadway Street, or the Decatur Museum at 400 W. Eighth St.
- Get stamps on your passport at the trolley and Decatur Museum
- Refreshments available
Oakland - 5 to 7 p.m.
- 6 p.m. Dedication of Lycka Till, a mobile stage with a backdrop of Swedish row homes
- 6:20 p.m. Performance of "Ole's Last Bow" a musical based on a true story of Ole Ivverson, one of the last Swedish vaudeville performers
- Get a stamp on your passport at Lycka Till, which will be placed in front of Oakland Auditorium at 401 N. Oakland Ave.
- 4:30 to 6 p.m. Supper will be available for purchase from the Chamber of Commerce
- 5 to 6 p.m. Swedish Heritage Center will be open
- 5:30 p.m. Dedication of "Welcome to Oakland" sign
Lyons - 7 to 9 p.m.
- Watch "Decades," a movie about the history of downtown Lyons at Storefront Theater, 214 Main St.
- Get free popcorn at the Storefront
- Get a stamp on your passport at Storefront Theater, Andromeda Gallery at 210 Main St., and at Cosmic Studios at 206 Main St.
Prize drawing - 8 p.m.
- At Storefront Theater
- If you collect stamps at all locations, you can enter into the drawing
- Must be present to win
The Byway of Art is administered by the Center for Rural Affairs.
- Posted on 3.8.2018
- Posted on 1.18.2018
- Posted on 1.1.2018
- Posted on 3.12.2018
- Posted on 5.1.2018