Editor's note: This post was contributed by Jon Bailey, Rural Research & Analysis Program Director at the Center for Rural Affairs.
In our work with family farmers and rural small business owners, we hear over and over again that one of the largest challenges they face is access to health care. So, in the coming months, we will be turning our attention to this important issue. A strong health care system that provides access to all, will make our rural communities stronger too.
The Health Care for America Now coalition, of which the Center for Rural Affairs is a member, is sponsoring a national call-in day next Wednesday, October 22, 2008. The purpose of this event is for citizens throughout the nation to ask their members of Congress to stand up for a guarantee of quality, affordable health care for all.
Please take a few minutes to call your members of Congress next Wednesday about quality, affordable health care for all.
- Call 1-888-436-8427 to be connected to your members of Congress.
- Don’t forget to call three times – once for your Representative and once for each of your Senators.
- Ask to speak with someone who can speak to the Senator’s or Representative’s position on health care.
- Ask your Senator or Representative to support this type of reform by signing the Health Care for America Now statement. If you want to see which members of Congress have signed on so far see this page.
- If your member of Congress has already expressed his or her support by signing the statement, give thanks and reinforce the support by saying you are glad to hear that your Senator or Representative is for guaranteeing quality, affordable health care for all.
- If your member has already expressed opposition by opposing the statement, express your disappointment and state that you hope your Senator or Representative will reconsider supporting a comprehensive health care solution that provides a guarantee of quality, affordable health care for all.
- Ask your Senator or Representative to support health care reform that guarantees quality, affordable health care for everyone.
- Ask your Senator or Representative to support reform that protects choice – the ability to keep your private insurance or join a public insurance plan based on a family’s ability to pay.
- Ask your Senator or Representative to support reform with rules and regulations on the insurance industry so that health care is actually there when you need it.
Update: You can read more about health care reform and rural America on this page and you can sign our health care reform petition here.